- Academy for eating disorders https://www.aedweb.org/home
- Alcoholics Anonymous http://www.aa.org
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry https://www.aacap.org
- American Foundation of Suicidology http://www.suicidology.org
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention https://afsp.org
- American Psychiatric Association https://www.psychiatry.org
- American Psychological Association http://www.apa.org
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org/
- American Heart Association http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/
- American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org/
- American Overseas Dietetic Association http://www.eatrightoverseas.org/
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America https://adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/children
- BEDA Binge Eating Disorder Association http://bedaonline.com
- British Psychoanalytic Council https://www.bpc.org.uk
- British Dietetic Association http://www.bda.uk.com/
- British Nutrition Foundation http://www.nutrition.org.uk/home.asp?siteId=43§ionId=1164&parentSection=299&which=
- Centre for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/
- Centre for Science in the Public Interest http://www.cspinet.org/
- Co-Dependents Anonymous International (CODA) http://coda.org
- European Psychiatric Association http://www.europsy.net
- European Federation of Psychologists Associations http://www.efpa.eu
- Food Allergy Network http://www.foodallergy.org/
- Health Finder http://www.healthfinder.gov/
- Hong Kong Psychological Society http://www.hkps.org.hk/index.php
- Hong Kong Clinical Psychologists Association http://www.hkcpa.org.hk
- Psychotherapy Society of Hong Kong https://www.psychotherapysocietyhk.com
- Hong Kong Dietetic Association http://www.hkda.com.hk/
- Hong Kong Nutrition Association http://www.hkna.org.hk/en
- International Food Information Council http://www.ific.org/
- Medline Plus http://medlineplus.gov/
- Narcotics Anonymous http://m.na.org
- National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org/
- National Diabetes Education Programme http://www.ndep.nih.gov/
- National Dairy Council http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/NationalDairyCouncil/
- National Eating Disorder Association http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
- National Association of School Psychologist (NASP) http://www.nasponline.org
- National Osteoporosis Foundation http://www.nof.org/
- National Academy of Sciences http://www.nas.edu/
- Nutrition.gov http://www.nutrition.gov/news-and-spotlights/news
- Overeaters Anonymous (OA) https://oa.org
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) https://www.rainn.org
- Royal College of Psychiatrists http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education https://www.save.org
- Stop Bullying https://www.stopbullying.gov
- The JED Foundation https://www.jedfoundation.org
- The British Psychological Society http://beta.bps.org.uk
- Wheat Foods Council http://www.wheatfoods.org/
- World Psychiatric Association http://www.wpanet.org
- World Health Organization http://www.who.int/en/
- United States Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome
For Parents of Children and Teens with Eating Disorders
- Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders (F.E.A.S.T.) is an international non-profit organization of and for parents and caregivers to help loved ones recover from eating disorders by providing information and mutual support, promoting evidence-based treatment, and advocating for research and education to reduce the suffering associated with eating disorders.
Maudsley Parents This website for parents of eating-disordered children provides support and a great deal of information about Family-Based Treatment.
- Help Your Teenager Beat an Eating Disorder, Second Edition, James Lock, MD, Ph.D. and Daniel Le Grange, Ph.D. (2015). This book for parents includes a comprehensive overview of the Family-Based Treatment approach to treatment, written by the developers of the treatment.
- Eating with Your Anorexic: A Mother’s Memoir, Laura Collins (2014). Any parent who is struggling with a child with an eating disorder will find it helpful to read this mother’s account of her daughter’s recovery using Family-Based Treatment.
- Brave Girl Eating, Harriet Brown (2010). Brown provides another excellent account of a family’s struggle with anorexia and treatment using Family-Based Treatment.
- Gurze Eating Disorder Books Catalogue: https://www.edcatalogue.com/books/
Medical Consequences of Eating Disorders
AED Medical Care Standards Guide Often referred to as, “the purple brochure,” this guide from the Academy for Eating Disorders’ (AED) Medical Care Standards Task Force, is intended as a resource to promote recognition of, and risk management in the care of, those with eating disorders.
Sick Enough: A Guide to the Medical Complications of Eating Disorders Dr. Jennifer Gaudiani has written the go-to resource on the medical complications of eating disorders. In her compassionate bedside manner, she demystifies these confusing disorders and distils into a single source everything that patients, families, and eating disorder providers will want to know.
General Eating Disorder Resources
- Academy for Eating Disorders: The AED is the main international scientific body for the study and prevention of eating disorders. It provides professional training to therapists as well as education and information about eating disorders research, prevention, and clinical treatments.
- National Eating Disorders Association: This non-profit organization specifically focuses on supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders
- Gurze/Salucore Eating Disorders Resource Catalogue: Eating disorder books, articles, information, resources, and more.
Recovery Apps for Self-monitoring
Both of these tools allow for keeping food records on your smart phone as an alternative to paper food records. They offer additional recovery oriented tools as well.
Eating Disorder Recovery Podcasts
- ED Matters – Gurze/Salucore is a podcast that provides information for people recovering from an eating disorder, their loved ones, and clinicians.
- Recovery Warriors is a podcast for increasing the resilience of those experiencing depression, anxiety, and eating disorders. Interviews include everything from body trust and intuitive eating to pregnancy and sports.
Cognitive Behavioural Approaches to Eating Disorders
- Overcoming Disordered Eating – Part A and Part B. Patients undergoing cognitive behavioural therapy for eating disorders can use these online workbooks, provided by CCI.
- The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks, Thomas P. Cash, Ph.D. (2008). This workbook specifically targets negative body image issues using a cognitive-behavioural approach.
- The Appetite Awareness Workbook: How To Listen to Your Body & Overcome Bingeing, Overeating, & Obsession with Food, Linda W. Craighead, Ph.D (1996). This cognitively based workbook focuses on strategies to regain normal eating patterns by reducing eating in response to external cues and emotional factors, and increasing awareness of internal hunger and satiety signals.
- Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works, Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch (2012). This book teaches techniques to develop a healthy relationship with food and replace both dieting and binge eating with “intuitive eating.” This book is extremely helpful for chronic and yo-yo dieters and emotional eaters/binge eaters.
- 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food, Susan Albers, Psy.D. (2009). This book draws upon a variety of evidence-based techniques to cope with emotional eating. The techniques are divided into 5 sections: 1) Mindful meditation techniques; 2) Change your thoughts, change your eating; 3) Soothing sensations to calm and relax the body; 4) Soothing yourself with distractions; and 5) Soothing yourself with emotional relationships.
- Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food, Jan Chozen Bays, MD (2009).
Helping Children to Develop Healthy Body Image and Healthy Eating Habits
There are several books for parents that provide tips and strategies for improving self-esteem and body image in their children. Some of those we recommend to our clients include:
- I’m Like, So Fat: Helping Your Teen Make Healthy Choices about Eating and Exercise in a Weight-Obsessed World, Dianne Neumark-Sztainer, Ph.D. (2005)
- Real Kids Come in All Sizes, Kathy Kater, LICSW (2004).
- 101 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Bodyby Brenda Lane Richardson and Elane Rehr (2001).
- No Weigh: A Teen’s Guide to Positive Body Image, Food, and Emotional Wisdom by Signe Darpinian, Shelley Aggarwal, & Wendy Sterling. The book is a teen-friendly guide to eating and body image. It covers important related topics like physical changes of puberty, understanding emotions, stress management strategies, and good sleep and exercise habits. It discusses body diversity and acceptance. Most importantly, it presents a non-diet approach to balanced eating in which all foods are allowed. This is such a critical message for teens.
- New Moon Girls: This pro-esteem magazine is produced for (and largely by) 8-14 year-old girls. Its website is a great place for girl self-expression.
- USDA My Plate Clients often seek advice on meal planning. The USDA’s revised meal-planning guideline replaced the old food pyramid with a much more user-friendly plate.
- Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think, Dennis Greenberger, Ph.D. and Christine Padesky, Ph.D., Second Edition (2015). This cognitive therapy workbook can be used alone or in conjunction with therapy. It includes worksheets and teaches strategies for monitoring mood, challenging dysfunctional thoughts, and building new core beliefs.
- Center for Clinical Interventions: These free downloadable Cognitive Therapy workbooks, courtesy of the Australian government, target a variety of problems including depression, social phobia, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, low self-esteem, procrastination, bipolar disorder, perfectionism, and eating disorders. They can be used alone or in conjunction with therapy.
Relaxation, Mindfulness, and Meditation Recordings
- UCLA Semel Institute Mindful Awareness Research Center Mindful awareness is a practice that invites us to stop, breathe, observe, and connect with one’s inner experience. This site provides an excellent introduction to mindfulness meditation through instructional MP3s that you can download. The centre also provides information about other mindfulness-based resources.
How to Give Your Child a Great Self-Image: Proven Techniques to Build Confidence from Infancy to Adolescence, Deborah Phillips and Fred Bernstein (1991). This book provides practical parenting strategies for building self-esteem in children.
Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall: A Parent’s Guide to the New Teenager, Anthony Wolf, Ph.D. (2002). This is a helpful guidebook for understanding and managing the teenage years.
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish (1999). This book demonstrates strategies for communication with children and shows how you can respect and respond to your child’s feelings and satisfy your own needs.
Siblings without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together, Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish (2004). This book teaches the skills and techniques necessary to redirect rivalry into cooperation.
Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Responsible Adulthood, Foster Cline, MD and Jim Fay (2006). This guide for parenting adolescents focuses on helping them to become independent and responsible by holding them accountable for their mistakes.
Parenting with Love and Logic, Foster Cline, MD and Jim Fay (2006). This parenting guide focuses on teaching children responsibility and the logic of life by solving their own problems and providing skills for coping in the real world.
Books I recommend to my clients for understanding and working through infidelity include:
- Surviving Infidelity: Making Decisions, Recovering from the Pain, Rona Subotnik, M.F.C.C. and Gloria Harris, Ph.D. (2005).
- Infidelity: a Survival Guide, Don-David Lusterman, Ph.D. (1998).
- 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts, Gary Chapman (2010). Chapman provides strategies for improving your relationship by understanding your partner’s primary” love language.”
- The 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work, John M. Gottman, Ph.D. (2000). This book provides research-based strategies for improving relationships and includes practical questionnaires and exercises. The companion website, Gottman, provides an introduction to the Gottmans’ work and includes some quizzes.
- Hold me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love, Sue Johnson (2008). Johnson provides strategies for improving your relationship by understanding underlying emotions and attachment needs. The companion website, Hold Me Tight, provides an introduction and preview of the book.
Third Culture Kids/ Expatriation
- Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds, David C. Pollok and Ruth E. Van Reken (2009). This book is the bible for anyone who has grown up or is living in a cross-cultural community. It should be recommended reading for all parents going on expatriate assignment.
- Interaction International. This organization helps prepare Third Culture Kids and internationally mobile families for living and working overseas; supports them while overseas, and assists them in transition and re-entry.
- American Academy of Paediatrics http://www.aap.org/
- Baby Centre http://www.babycenter.com/
- Children’s Nutrition Research Centre http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/
- Department of Health EatSmart http://www.eatsmart.gov.hk/eng/template/index.html
- Family Food Zone http://www.familyfoodzone.com/
- Healthy School Meals http://healthymeals.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=14&tax_level=1
- La Leche League International http://www.llli.org//
- “UKAT” – UK Addiction Treatment Centres https://www.ukat.co.uk/
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline, 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or text “START” to 741741
- ADT -Free Helpline for drug and alcohol addiction and familial support for loved one’s affected by addiction, 0800-088-6686 http://www.adt-healthcare.com
- Center for Disease Control Suicide Datasheet https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/suicide-datasheet-a.pdf
- SAMHSA Prevention Suicide: A Toolkit for High Schools http://store.samhsa.gov/product/Preventing-Suicide-A-Toolkit-for-High-Schools/SMA12-4669
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center, After a Suicide: Toolkit for Schools http://www.sprc.org/sites/default/files/migrate/library/AfteraSuicideToolkitforSchools.pdf
- Memorials: Special Considerations for Memorializing an Incident http://docplayer.net/4588074-Ws1-handout-21-memorials-special-considerations-when-memorializing-an-incident.html
CCI provides the online workbook Keeping Your Balance: Coping with Bipolar Disorder
CCI provides the online workbook Back from the Bluez: Coping with Depression
CCI provides the online workbook Facing Your Feelings
Generalized Anxiety Disorder/Worry
CBT workbooks I recommend to my clients with Generalized Anxiety Disorder include:
- Mastery of Anxiety and Worry, Michelle Craske, Ph.D. and David Barlow, Ph.D. (2006).
- CCI’s online workbook What? Me Worry?. Online CBT workbook
- Stop Obsessing: How to Overcome Your Obsessions and Compulsions, Edna Foa, Ph.D. and Reid Wilson, Ph.D. (2001). This self-help book utilizes evidence-based CBT techniques from the world’s leading experts for overcoming OCD.
- Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts, Christine Purdon, Ph.D. and David Clark, Ph.D. (2005). This book focuses on CBT strategies for overcoming obsessive thoughts.
CBT workbooks I recommend to my clients with panic disorder include:
- Mastery of Anxiety and Panic, David Barlow and Michelle Craske (2006).
- Panic Stations: Coping with Panic Attacks
CCI provides the online workbook Perfectionism in Perspective: Overcoming Perfectionism
CCI provides the online workbook Put off Procrastination: Overcoming Procrastination
CCI provides the online workbook Shy No Longer: Coping with Social Anxiety
CCI provides the online workbook Improving Self-Esteem: Overcoming Low Self-Esteem
- Writing to Heal, James W. Pennebaker, Ph.D. (2004). This book provides guided writing exercises that help explore feelings related to painful experiences.
- American Dietetic Association
- FDA Consumer Magazine http://www.fda.gov/fdac/
- Food and Nutrition Information Center
- Office of Dietary Supplements http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/
- Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter http://www.healthletter.tufts.edu/
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/
- Aman Resorts http://www.amanresorts.com/
- Chiva-Som International Health Resort http://www.chivasom.com/content/huahin/huahin_introduction.htm
- ESPA http://www.espaonline.com
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts http://www.fourseasons.com/
- GHM hotels http://www.ghmhotels.com/
- Golden Door http://www.goldendoor.com
- Leading Hotels of the World http://www.lhw.com/home.aspx?&ext=GLlwBrnd&gclid=CMypiJ6nrJECFQPLbwodjDVCdw
- Leading Spa Hotels of the World http://www.lhwspas.com/?&ext=GLS
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group http://www.mohg.com/
- Peninsula Hotels http://www.peninsula.com/Peninsula_Hotels/en/default.aspx
- Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts http://www.shangri-la.com/
- AsiaSpa http://www.asiaspa.com/list/nutrition
- Asia Travel Tips http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news06/284-PeninsulaHotels.shtml
- Ask the Experts http://www.fithk.com/Askexperts.htm
- Azia City http://www.aziacity.com/hk/dining/feature/beauty_the_feast
- Bangkok’s Independent Newspaper http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/01/16/lifestyle/lifestyle_30062361.php
- Bangkok Thailand Guide http://www.at-bangkok.com/detail_news.php?new_id=181
- Bon Appetite http://www.epicurious.com/bonappetit/
- Cooking Light http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/
- Eating Well http://www.eatingwell.com/
- Food and Wine http://www.foodandwine.com/
- Gourmet http://www.gourmet.com/
- Health Benefits of Chillies http://www.pangyeow.com/?p=28#more-28
- Light and Tasty http://www.lightandtasty.com/Default.aspx?r_d=y
- Red Life Asia http://www.redlife-asia.com/
- The Peninsula News Centre http://newscenter.peninsula.com/pdf/penGroup/en/CPR_20070328.pdf
- Travel and Leisure http://www.travelandleisure.com/
- Red Life Asia http://www.redlife-asia.com/article.php?r=34
- Yummy mummy Asia http://yummymummyasia.com/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp
- National Childhood Cancer Foundation http://www.curesearch.org/
- OncoLink http://oncolink.upenn.edu/
- Celiac Support Page http://www.celiac.com/
- Celiac Disease Foundation http://www.celiac.org/
- Celiac Sprue Organization http://www.csaceliacs.org/
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org
- Children with Diabetes http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index_cwd.htm
- Diabetic Gourmet Magazine http://diabeticgourmet.com/
- Joslin Diabetes Center http://www.joslin.org/index.asp
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation http://www.jdrf.org/
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive & Kidney Diseases http://www2.niddk.nih.gov/
- American Heart Association http://www.amhrt.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1200000
- National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org/
- Lung Cancer Alliance http://www.lungcanceralliance.org
- The Mesotheliomagroup http://www.mesotheliomagroup.com